Office of Career Services organizes two day CV & Cover Letter Preparation Clinic to assist students how to standardize their CVs and cover letters in order to better prepare them for job market. During the preparation clinic students will be familiarized with some useful tips which includes a range of skills and concepts that every job seeker needs to learn about before they embark on their professional career
In this preparation clinic it describes the importance of having a well written CV and cover letter to demonstrate to any potential employer that you are the best candidate for the position. This practical session will be of great interest to anyone who is actively looking for employment and those who are already in employment, but are considering applying for a new position.
Following are the topics to be practiced in this preparation clinic:
- CV standardization
- Cover Letter standardization
Upon successful completion of this workshop, the participants will be able to:
• Understand the purposes and uses of the CV
• Understand and develop standard CV formats, sections and formatting tips
• Complete practical in-class CV writing assignments
• Understand the nature and purpose of a cover letter
• Create an effective cover letter outlining your interest in applying for a position.
• Identify the structure and format of an effective cover letter
1) Describe the importance of a structure to categorize the very broad job market
2) Describe how a CV and cover letter is a marketing document that sells your candidacy and represents you when you are not there
3) Describe the importance of clarity when writing a CV and cover letter
4) Conduct the preliminary work needed to write a CV and cover letter that has purpose and gets noticed
Who should attend?
This course is suitable for all students and alumni that would like to understand the importance of a CV and cover letter and to determine if their job is compatible with their career aspirations.