Kardan University is pleased to announce the start of Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot program for 2019-2020. Members will compete in the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot (Vis Moot) in Hong Kong in March 2020. The goal of the Vis Arbitral Moot is to foster the study of international commercial law and arbitration for resolution of international commercial disputes and to train future leaders in the mentioned field.
The United States Department of Commerce’s Commercial Law Development Program (CLDP) is sponsoring several teams from Afghanistan for a series of training sessions in preparation for their participation in the Vis Moot. The Vis Moot program in Afghanistan is managed by Ms. Duniya Stanikzai, who serves as the Director of Afghanistan Vis Moot Alumni. The goals of the Vis Moot are the promotion and study of international commercial arbitration and the training of tomorrow's legal leaders in methods of alternative dispute resolution.
For more information on the Vis Moot, please visit https://vismoot.pace.edu/.
The competition is in March 2020, which will be preceded by nine months of oral and written advocacy coaching and training. The preparation includes both in-person lectures by CLDP attorneys and Afghan coaches throughout the nine months. Mr. Eqbal Nahzat will be the coach for Kardan University’s team. He will meet the team regularly to prepare them for the competition and help them with their research, writing, and advocacy skills.
Additionally, the team will participate in several other preparatory events, including:
• From June to September 2019, CLDP will provide essential coaching on the arbitration, using the 2018-19 Vis problem.
• In September 2019, an Afghan Competition will be held where CLDP will select the top Afghan team to compete in Hong Kong at the Vis actual Moot and Pre-moot in Bahrain.
• In October 2019, CLDP will take the coaches for the selected Afghan team to Bahrain for one-week training. The training will be conducted at Bahrain’s Royal University for Women, in coordination with the Bahrain Center for Dispute Resolution and the University of Pittsburgh Law School.
• In February 2020, the selected Afghan teams will participate in the Middle East Vis PreMoot.
• In March 2020, the Vis Moot will be held in Hong Kong.
This program is part of CLDP’s continuing effort to support the legal curriculum of Afghan universities and produce competent lawyers in the field of commercial law and international arbitration.
CLDP will provide all expenses related to the program, including travel expenses, lodging, and per diem for the Afghan students.
To participate, candidates should:
? Be a student of Kardan University’s LLB or BPS Department
? Have advanced English language skills
? Not be a law practitioner/prosecutor/ defense lawyer
If you are interested in the program, Please visit Office of Student Involvement and Events at Parwan-e-Du campus, or write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org